background

Monday, April 12, 2010

The Big Move

After months of planning, we finally made the big move from Cleveland to Venice. It was a lot of work to get all the details worked out, but this is how it went....

Luke rented the U-Haul, and picked it up on Friday. Much to Luke's dismay, my piano didn't sell on craigslist, so it was the first thing to be loaded up. Then he started packing everything else around it. We got a 24 foot truck. When we went to pick it up, I realized it was enormous and that there was no way we could every fill it. Boy, was I wrong! We needed every inch of space! Here's Noah being a big helper to his daddy.


My mom flew back into Cleveland to help watch the kids and finish packing. Here she is keeping Abby entertained while I did some last minute packing!

On Saturday, our dear friends (we miss you all so much!) had a going away party for us. We shared lots of fun memories, mostly having to do with Luke's poop chair invention and moving a friend's shed from his backyard to ours. (When I get around to unpacking the external hard drive, I'll put the pictures I have on here, just so we can laugh about it again!) Then we played Catch Phrase and ate cake.

On Sunday, the church officially commissioned us. We also had Julia dedicated that morning. And afterwards, we had to say goodbye to everyone. It was an incredibly meaningful and emotional time for our family. We are blessed to have an amazing support team and church family.

The moving van was loaded up and in the church parking lot waiting for us to finish. Luke's parents and a friend made the drive with him. Mom, the kids and I stayed at the Hudson's house that night and flew down to Florida the next afternoon.


We are thankful to be finished with the move. It took a lot of thinking to get everything all done. I'm still tying up loose ends -- I spent the morning making phone calls and changing addressess -- but we're here, and that's a blessing!

That being said, we miss our friends so much! We've been trying different churches each week. I'm confident that's where we'll make most of our friends, so I'm anxious to settle on one! Thank you to all of you who have emailed and called and sent cards. It's definitely helped ease the loneliness!

Luke found a great little house. We really like the location, but it's a little on the small side (after living in a huge house for the last 6 months, we've had to adjust to our close quarters!) so we've had to get creative with our storage. I'll post pictures of it soon. I'll have to take them first, but it's nap time here, so the bedrooms are full of little ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment